Friday, June 25, 2010

Volunteer Spotlight

Name:
Michelle Colquitt

Hometown: Winterville, GA

Volunteer Period: Started in May 2010

Education:
A.A. Paralegal Studies, Athens Technical College (2003)
B.S. Pre-Law/History minor, Emmanuel College (2006)
MLIS, Valdosta State University (expected 2012)

What am I doing here at the Russell Library?

I attended a field trip with my VSU Preservation class. This entailed learning about preservation at the Main Library at UGA and also archival work at the Russell Library. The presentation was about moving to the new special collections building. I wanted to help out and the rest is history!

I have been preparing the Zell Miller plaque/award collection for the move. This involves boxing the plaques up and making sure they won't be harmed in the moving process. I also shelf read and organized some of Senator Russell's books.

I knew I was a sucker for history when...
I've always been fascinated by the past. Two circumstances really shaped my love of history. (1) Being a student in Mr. Charles Corbett's eighth grade Georgia History class at Hart County Middle School, and (2) Taking a trip to the Biltmore Estate at age 14 with my family. It fascinated me to learn about the history of the Vanderbilt family and also the everyday people who had transformed the city of Asheville.

The best part of volunteering so far...

The best part of volunteering has been getting involved with a library again! I worked for the ATC Library while getting my associate's degree, but it has been about six years since I have worked in a library. The work is very fulfilling, and I feel as if I am making a contribution.

If I wasn't spending my time in the archives, my alter ego would be pursuing a career in...
Well, my alter ego is a Juvenile Probation Officer here in Athens, GA. I work at Juvenile Court as the intake officer -- so I carry a case load of about 40 juvenile offenders. I make contracts, provide referral to services, and monitor compliance with court ordered conditions. I'm also the Intake Officer and determine whether or not youth should be "locked up" for certain offenses. Oh! And, i'm a student trying to get my Master's Degree!

On my days off you will find me...
On my days off - I'm here at the Russell Library! On the weekends, I am usually hanging out with my family and friends. I try to squeeze in time for leisure reading but have had lots of school reading lately.

In five year I see myself...
I hope to be putting my MLIS degree to good use. I don't care how or where - I just want to be a librarian. The best job I ever had was working as a Student Library Assistant at Athens Technical College. I loved helping the patrons increase their knowledge and the library environment was very peaceful and calm.

No comments: